- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- About a handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped (dried basil is ok too of course!)
- Oregano to taste (a few pinches)
- Rosemary to taste (1-2 pinches)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a large frying pan, add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and warm over a medium heat setting. When the olive oil is hot, add the diced red and green bell peppers, the red onion, and the minced garlic.
- Sautee the vegetables stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add half of the freshly chopped basil, and a few pinches of oregano, and a pinch or two of rosemary to the vegetables. Continue sautéing the vegetables for another 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
–Turn the broiler setting on during this step; you will need to use the broiler at the end of this recipe.
- While waiting for the vegetables to cook, begin cracking all 8 eggs into a medium sized bowl. Add the remaining chopped basil to the bowl and beat the eggs with a fork or whisk for about 1 minute. Set aside until the sautéed vegetables are soft and ready.
- When the vegetables are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork, slowly add the egg mixture to the frying pan. Mix the eggs and vegetables around with a spatula, trying to keep the mixture as even as possible.
- Lower the heat on the stovetop to a setting of 2 or 3. Sprinkle the two types of cheeses evenly over the frying pan. Heat the mixture without mixing until the eggs begin to set (about 10 minutes). Do not let the eggs completely set. (See picture below)
6. Carefully transfer the pan into the oven (pre-heated with the broiler setting) in order to finish cooking the top portion of the frittata. This will likely only take about 3-5 minutes. Watch the frittata carefully and take it out of the oven once the cheese has started to become crisp on the top. (See picture below)
Nutrition Facts per serving: (Yields 6 servings)
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 184 mg
Potassium: 214 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 11 g
Vitamin A: 21% DV
Vitamin C: 66% DV
Calcium: 13% DV
Iron: 8% DV