Ingredients: (Yields about 8 servings)
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and sliced evenly (medium slices are fine)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced evenly
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 & 1/2 cups water (for sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. iodized salt
- 1 lb of organic noodles, cooked either before hand or while preparing the sauce. (I used Simply Balanced Campanelle pasta)
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- Ground pepper to taste (topping)
- Fill a medium sauce pan about 3/4 of the way with water. Bring to a boil. Add the sliced potatoes, the carrot, and the onion. Cover, and let boil for about 10 minutes (until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork). Set aside.
- In a large food processor, add the cashews, and then the boiled vegetables, followed by the seasonings, and the water. Pulse until you achieve a smooth mixture.
- Add the cheddar shred to the food processor, and pulse again until smooth.
- Spread the cooked pasta noodles into a medium casserole dish. Slowly pour the cashew sauce over the noodles, and mix until noodles are evenly covered.
- Sprinkle a bit of black ground pepper over the casserole dish, as desired for a bit of extra flavor.
This was my first time making a vegan cashew-style cheese, but it definitely won’t be my last!
Nutrition Facts per ~ 1 cup (about 8 cups per recipe)
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 201 mg
Potassium: 92 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 48 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 4 g
Protein: 9 g
Vitamin A: 26% DV
Vitamin C: 7% DV
Calcium: 1% DV
Iron: 13% DV