Broccoli-cauliflower bites make a delicious snack that will hold you over and make you feel satisfied when you are between meals. Each recipe yields 16 bites, and all you have to do is heat them up in the microwave for about 1 minute if you are in a hurry!
Plus, the flavors that the seasonings bring to this dish are AMAZING. I am definitely going to be keeping a batch of these in my fridge, ready-to-go at all times during the week.
The best part about these deliciously addicting morsels is that they make a fantastic way to sneak in your veggies throughout the day. If you take a couple of these in your lunch box instead of a bag of chips, you will be reaping the benefit of consuming a food filled with vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, potassium, protein, antioxidants (and much more), instead of taking in empty calories.
Consuming snack foods filled with empty calories (like commercial potato chips, cookies, etc.) may give you a quick feeling of relief from hunger, but these types of snacks will often times break down rapidly in your digestive system, leaving you feeling hungry again shortly after you consume them. Consuming nutrient-dense foods will not only give your body more substance to process, but will also provide your body with the nutrients that it needs to run efficiently throughout the day; thus, giving you more long-lasting energy and satiety.
Let’s sneak in our veggies during snack times and nourish our bodies!
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 tube of baking biscuit dough (8 biscuits / tube)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil + 1 additional Tbsp. for glazing
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning + additional pinch for glazing
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take out a large baking sheet, and line it with parchment paper (for reduced mess). Set the baking sheet aside for now.
- Start by taking the broccoli florets, and transferring them into a microwave safe bowl (steamer bowls with vented covers are ideal). Add a drip of water to the bowl, and microwave the broccoli for about 4 minutes in the microwave. Repeat this with the cauliflower florets.
- Combine the steamed broccoli and cauliflower into a medium-sized bowl. Take a separate small bowl, and measure out 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder. Blend the oil and seasonings together. Then, slowly stir the oil blend into the vegetables. Stir the vegetables well, so that all florets have been seasoned. Hint: Keep the small bowl that you used for the oil out, because you will need it again later on for step 7.
- Next, open the can of biscuit dough. Cut each single biscuit in half, and shape each half into a ball. Use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into a small circle. Try to make the flattened dough as much as you can, to make it easier for you to seal the broccoli-cauliflower bites later on.
- To prepare for assembly, measure out the parmesan and mozzarella cheese into a small bowl. With clean hands, mix the two types of cheeses up as best you can in the bowl.
- We are ready to assemble! To the center of each dough circle, add a few pieces of the broccoli/cauliflower mix. (Make sure to leave some room around the edges of the circle, so you can seal the dough as shown in the picture above) Then, add 1 pinch of the cheese mixture over the vegetables. To seal the dough, fold the edges of the dough up around the veggies and pinch the dough together to make a seal, as shown in the picture above. (The sealed end will be the bottom of the cauliflower bites)
- Transfer each of the bites seal-side down onto a large baking sheet. Take the small bowl that you used for the oil / seasonings in step 3, and blend together 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and a pinch of olive oil to make the glaze for the dough. Brush the glaze over each of the bites.
- Bake the broccoli-cauliflower bites for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy them warm, and save some to heat up for later!!!
Nutrition Facts per serving: (Yields 16 servings)