Start your day the right way by fueling your body with this wholesome & delicious recipe! Each serving of Avocado Toast & Eggs is packed with protein, heart-healthy unsaturated fats, B-Vitamins from the whole grain toast, and a boost of potassium!
This was literally my first time making avocado toast at home. I had tried a meal similar to this at a local Minneapolis restaurant last year, and I knew that this was something I had make myself! To my surprise, this tasted just as good if not better than the avocado toast I had tried before. Yumm-O!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 eggs, fried (see below for directions on how to fry an egg)
- 1 Tbsp. of olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Take 1 ripe avocado, and carefully slice it in half using a large, sharp kitchen knife. Use a spoon to remove the pit from each halved avocado, and discard the pit.
- Using a spoon, scoop the contents of the avocado into a small bowl, and discard the avocado skin. Mash the avocado with a fork until you you achieve a chunky texture (or until mostly smooth, if you prefer)
- Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper onto the mashed avocado, and mix. Set bowl aside for now.
- Next, use a medium-heat setting to warm a large frying pan. Add about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to the pan. Wait for the olive oil to heat, and one at a time crack the eggs into the pan. Let each egg cook undisturbed until the whites have completely set, and the yolks begin to harden.
(This is also a good time to get your bread into the toaster)
- Carefully flip each egg over using a spatula. Sprinkle a bit of pepper over the eggs. Continue to let the eggs cook for about 2-3 minutes. You can estimate if the eggs are ready or not by lightly poking the yolk; if the yolk feels firm, the egg is likely ready to be removed from the heat.
- Place the each slices of toast on a small dinner plate. Spread the mashed avocado onto each slice of toast. Then, use the spatula to carefully transfer 1 fried egg onto each slice of avocado toast. Sprinkle a bit additional of salt & pepper over the eggs, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving / Slice of Avocado Toast
Total Fat: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 14 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 191 mg
Potassium: 423 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16 g
Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 12 g
Vitamin A: 7% DV
Vitamin C: 12% DV
Calcium: 5% DV
Iron: 15% DV