Ingredients (Yields 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter (recommended) — regular butter works too
(I recommend the Earth Balance brand of vegan butter, available at Target)
- 1/2 cup of hot sauce
(check the ingredients look for one that is made with cayenne pepper)
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- a dash of garlic powder
- a sprinkle of additional cayenne pepper if you prefer EXTRA spice
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegan butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until completely melted. Pour the butter into a small glass dish.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot sauce to the glass dish containing the melted butter. Mix until you achieve an evenly bright red color.
- Add the white vinegar to the glass dish, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the spices to the glass dish and stir for 30 seconds.
This recipe makes a DELICIOUS buffalo sauce, and unlike other buffalo sauce recipes, it uses VEGAN butter which transforms the fat profile from being high in the artery-clogging saturated fat to being rich in the mono and poly unsaturated fats, the more heart-healthy choice!
While this buffalo sauce contains MUCH less sodium than commercial brands, it’s important to remember that buffalo sauces are to be consumed in moderation. Buffalo sauce tends to be fairly in sodium, even when you make it at home.
With that being said, this buffalo sauce recipe has about 160 mg less sodium than many other commercial brands. Easy and quick, so make this at home!!!
Nutrition Facts (using vegan butter) per 1 Tbsp. serving (yields 16 srv.)
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 334 mg
Potassium: 2 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 0 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 0 g
Vitamin A: 4% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Calcium: 0% DV
Iron: 0% DV